Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Compost Tube - Final Report

This beautiful abstract from early July is the inside of the compost bottle. As you can see, some fungi took hold, along with the nematodes and bacteria that broke our vegetable scraps down into mush. A friend suggested using the liquid which collected in the bottom of the tube as "compost tea," so I poured it on my potted grape tomato plant. After photographing and disassembling the tube, I worked the contents into the tomato pot. (The tomato doesn't look great, but I don't know if that is the fault of the compost!)

1 comment:

Rufus Cole said...

It's really interesting showing the composting process in a clear bottle and is a great way to see this biological process occuring. I've recently had a drive to recycle and becoming more sustainable and used a composters guide to buy my first blackwall composter. But I have younger children who are now starting to ask questions and I think showing them how it works in a clear plastic bottle is a really good idea. So thanks for this. I'm sure it will engage them!